[Gvsig_english] gvSig Java(?) & Layers fault

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Tue Oct 19 00:33:21 CEST 2010

Hello, Gary.

I have a Windows 7 machine but unlike yours, it's 32-bit and the shapefile you have provided can be opened correctly with gvSIG 1.10 RC1.

I can only think of these three possible explanations for your problem:

(1) maybe you are using a 64-bit Java virtual machine and this is causing some trouble. Try this option in the Windows 7 main menu:

Start > All programs > Accessories > Run    (type 'cmd' in the text box and hit enter)

Then in the DOS-like window, type:

java -version

what's the full output? If it says something about 64-bit, you should go to the Oracle/Sun website and get a 32-bit version of the JVM which should run also in your 64-bit system. I think you should choose "JDK/JRE - 5.0" and "Windows" instead of "Windows 64" in the last step:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html

(2) we've seen problems in the past with .qix files. If you have a file called 'i5605_islands.qix' by the other files, delete it (or move it to another folder) and try again.

(3) are you simply adding the shapefile or are you doing on-the-fly reprojection? I understand the shapefile is in EPSG:4326, is that so? In which SRS is your view?

Regards,

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)