[Gvsig_english] gv_sig and future on mac os

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Fri Oct 22 00:04:20 CEST 2010

Hi All,

On Friday 22 October 2010 2:23:16 am Chris Puttick wrote:
> what then?

My son has been using a iMac for several years and resisted moving away from
the computer and its operating system for all the wrong reasons (i.e. vendor
lock in with iPhone, iTunes, etc).

Recently he moved away from his iPhone and now only use iTunes and comparable
music related products.

Faced with an operating system that only allowed Apple products and one that
in recent times is just getting slower and slower (a bit like windows XP and
Vista was doing a year or so back), I convinced him to move to Ubuntu (well he
really convinced himself as I have been nagging him for sometime. The pivotal
point was when he saw me log on and open a program on my machine in seconds
compared to minutes on his).

After backing up his system (2-3 hours), it took less than one hour to set up
the base system in Ubuntu. He is enjoying the OS, the 'free' software and
lightning fast OS (at least compared to OS-X).

Where to from here? Move your iMac to Ubuntu. You won't be sorry.

I know it sound drastic but it really isn't.

P.S. It's funny how things are not apparent until they hit you in the face. My
son, while looking at the various movies he had downloaded to iTunes, asked me
how he could view these files as they were in a proprietary format that could
only be read by Apple software. He was livid that he could not view these files
using other software as he had paid good money for these movies. After a bit
of searching we were able to find a conversion routine written in Open Source
that could convert the apple movie format to a more commonly encountered and
used format.

--
Cheers Simon

	Simon Cropper