[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and gvSIG-CE, when will someone clarify the situation?

José Antonio Canalejo Alonso jacanalejo at yahoo.es
Wed Aug 1 17:09:16 CEST 2012

Hello Jorge,
gvSIG was born without trademarks [1]. The owners of the copyright are now different than the ones at the beginning of the project. Things have changed a lot since the gvSIG incubator application request was sent to OSGeo [1]. This link should be actualized and the actual situation of gvSIG should be new exposed: names of all official committers, relationships with commercial companies or products, patents, trademarks, copyright, people actively contribute (code, documentation, other?), actual sponsors, etc
These changes about trademarks were never notified in this list. My apologies if the name of the project is creating confusion. gvSIG CE was created as many other projects with the name of gvSIG. After the creation of gvSIG CE, we were informed about the existing trademarks.
Instead of starting any expensive and painful legal action, we should keep on working, producing good code like we are making now. Developers from gvSIG EIEL and gvSIG CE made important contributions to gvSIG 1.10, 1.11 and 1.12.
Let's keep working together in different repositories. We are more effective and faster now than following the official procedures. More contributions will come from gvSIG CE Team to gvSIG 1x.
Otherwise, you have announced, the gvSIG Association will invest its resources in gvSIG 2x. Let us then develop in peace gvSIG 1x. and integrate SEXTANTE there as it should be done. No matter of we are official or not. Do not try to make official a community, this will never work.
Best regards!
Jose

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_incubator_application_request
13. Is the code free of patents, trademarks, and do you control the copyright?
gvSIG is free of patents and trademarks, and the copyright is controlled by the project owners.