[Gvsig_usuarios] Re: [OpenSDI] Java bindings for GDAL (was [Gvsig_desarrolladores] JMRSID)

Luis W. Sevilla sevilla_lui en gva.es
Mar Sep 27 16:36:45 CEST 2005

Gabriel Roldán wrote:

>Hi guys,
>I'm writing this in english since I guess It may be of interest for other
>projects, so I'm cc'ing this message to the appropriate lists.
>
>First, I want to adhere to Alvaro's congratulations for the great job you're
>doing with gvSig, and raise up some questions.

Thanks, it's very apreciated and motivating your support.

>FYI: the gvSig team has managed to include Java bindings for GDAL inside its
>product.
>
>As it become obvious, java access to gdal may be of great interest for the
>GeoServer WMS/WCS implementations. My questions are:
>- do you know if access to gdal is thread safe? I guess I have read from the
>gdal creator that it is not still thread safe. Do you know if it would be
>suitable for a server usage?

Well, Frank has answered by itself. I think server usage must be evaluated.

>- do you have plans (if not already done) to commit and maintain the Java
>bindings for GDAL at the GDAL source tree? I ask because it seems like a long
>waited contribution on the GDAL site and forums.

Well, our point for jgdal development was usability from java, and
fidelity to object model that python wrapper
seems to suggest.
When we aproximate java wrapper we saw than some of the more critical
work must be hand made, and SWING
needed his own learning curve. So we decided to have a more 'hand made'
approach, that Frank Warmerdam didn't
liked and he doesn't seem to agree with us for doing official support.

>Geoserver WCS guys: are you interested in accessing rasters through GDAL? if
>so, are you interested in coordinating with gvSig team to inspect the
>possibilities in the short term? or may be you are focused on higher level
>stuff right now?
>
>I guess it could be a huge capability for geoserver. If you're not interested
>may be I could arrange some 'spare' time to dedicate, but it would be really
>fantastic if you're interesting at least in investigating the possibilities
>of integration.

We can work together on this. I offered some collaboration to simone on
this aspect, and I'm waiting from some
answer about the topic.

>Alvaro: are you working on an OGC map server or a custom one? if the former,
>would you be interested in adding gdal support to GeoServer WMS?

shoudn't be too dificult to add. Even add full jcms underlying support
may be a good idea.

>Best regards and thanks to all of you for the great stuff you're working on.

Same to you